Monday, April 22, 2013

Dandelion: Suburban Lawn Enemy #1 OR Superfood for the Masses?



No, I don't really want the world to end but is it wrong that I was hoping for a little more shake rattle and roll on December 21, 2012?  Perhaps a few days of darkness, maybe the grid going down for a week or so...anything to wake people up!  Instead we awoke to things appearing normal.  Things ARE shaking behind the scenes unaware to those who are too busy watching Survivor than to actually know how to survive but to the untrained eye things seem status quo.  Many are still in the dark about Obama signing the "Monsanto can do Whatever they Flippin Please Act" recently.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?  Is anyone awake?


Spring has finally landed in Montana and more people are spending time in their yards and gardens.  I look in my yard and get excited at seeing those zig zaggedy leaves and know that wild food is on its way to me.  A gift from the universe.  I am one of  THOSE neighbors.  You know, the one without the perfectly manicured lawn. The kind that displays little tiny flags with bragging rights saying, "Look at how pretty I am. Don't let your dogs walk on me. I am toxic, but aren't I so pretty??"  Nope, I am the one with copious dandelions. 

I have a wish for my manicured community.  My dandelion wish for people is that they would wake up and see the nutrition, get in their yard with their kids, pick them, make wine and salads from them, see them for the bright bold yellow flower that they are and the whimsical seed pod that they become.

The word dandelion comes from the French word, dents de lion, meaning the teeth of the lion.  This most likely refers to the jagged leaves.  A lesser known French name for dendelion is pis-en-lit, meaning wet the bed.  Dandelion is a duiretic, not meant as a bed time snack. 

Dandelion leaves and roots are super nutritious and even the yellow flowers are edible. Historically the roots and leaves were used for digestive issues, breast health, fever, skin diseases, liver support and joint pain.  I was surprised to open up today's paper to find dandelion featured in the weekly food section.   I have long made fritters out of the flowers and use the leaves for salads but have never made dandelion leaf pesto.  I love recipes, but when it comes to pesto I never measure.  Here are the amounts according to The Missoulian.

1-2 cloves of garlic (or more!)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 TBS pine nuts
1/2 bunch (12 ounces) dandelion greens trimmed and chopped
2 TBS finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
2 TBS finely grated pecorino Romano cheese
2-4 TBS fruity olive oil
Lemon juice if desired to taste

Blend or food process.  Add ingredients as needed to taste.

Old habits die hard.  I understand.  Before you call the weed man or god forbid get out your Monsanto Round Up, shake thing up.  Pick a few leaves, dig up some root, throw some flowers in a salad and try dandelion for yourself. 


8 comments:

  1. Great post! But I find it hard to love those dandelions when they take over my lawn... I'll try though :)
    Eithne
    www.trueessencecoaching.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up with dandelions so I guess I know no different. I am making some greens powder out of them this year. pretty excited about that.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy dandelion tea with a drop of vanilla several mornings a week.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the wild and wooly camp for lawns, myself, Andrea. However, our landlords have a different idea. [SIGH.]

    What's this about Dandelion Wine?? Dandy blend has been my faithful coffee replacement for some time now, but it sounds like it's the star in another delicious elixir... Tell us more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year I say I am going to make dandelion wine, maybe this is the year....maybe some elderberry wine too!

      Delete
  4. The one time I ate cooked wild dandelions, I didn't like them. (But then again, I wasn't thrilled with pokeweed the one time I tried it, too.) I don't like bitterness in my greens. But, I love pesto and I think this might work. I was so intrigued I posted this on my Facebook personal page and also my blog's page.

    ReplyDelete