Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Healthy Haikus and Cherry Blossoms

Difficult pondering cherry blossoms in full bloom when I awoke to yet another dusting of snow mid April in Western Montana.  My tulips on the verge of bursting into color may have a life tragically cut short as tomorrow night it will dip way below freezing, so for now I will conjure up cherry blossoms in my mind.  Our beloved Flathead cherries bloom much later in the summer, so sooner or later I will get a piece of the action.  You can bet your sweet bippy fingers will be stained, pickling and pies will occur, and inevitable frequent trips to the bathroom having overindulged in these bite sized versions of heaven.


Courtesy of montanacherries.com


In 1912, 3000 cherry trees were a gift to the city of Washington, DC by Tokyo's mayor Yukio Ozaki.  The annual Cherry Blossom Festival is a symbol of American and Japanese friendship.

America has been swept up by haiku during this celebration so I thought I would try my hand at writing some healthy haikus.  A bit more difficult than originally anticipated but still an unintimidating entry into the mysterious workings of poetry.

Here is what I came up with.

Water, air, and sleep
exercise, whole food eating
a beautiful life

Planting a garden
is like money in the bank
Good Food Currency

Chia, maca, kale
superfoods of the Gods, and
of wholesome people

Feeling sick and sad
GMOs, law of the land
when will people see?

Kale, glorious kale
my body sings in delight
Hallelujah! Greens! 

12 comments:

  1. Love your haikus! You should make each into a little picture and use for Wordless Wednesdays or on your FB page. It's hard to feel springlike in the western states until about June. When I lived in CO we always had a blizzard the day after the ski resort closed. Cherries are one of my favorite things about the summer :)
    Michelle
    www.nolimitshw.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, that is a super idea. I had to cover my garden last night as it got so cold. everything survived, thank goodness. The way things go around here is that you get so excited and buy flowers in May and then it snows and then you replace everything in June. LOL.

      Delete
  2. Impressive Haikus! I love how you tied the Japanese Cherry blossoms blooming into the birth of your healthy Haikus. Your blog brought back memories of a trip to Washington DC when the cherry blossoms had bloomed and being surrounded by the blooms blowing in the wind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Barbara. I have never been to DC when they are in bloom. I bet it is so lovely in person.

      Delete
  3. I love your Haikus too Andrea! I haven't EVER had cherries right off the tree before but I think it's something I have to try this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any food from the source is divine! I hope you get to experience some straight from the tree cherries.

      Delete
  4. Yeah this is so good. Well written and educational. Happy belated Haikus Day! Hope you get your cherries in full bloom soon, Spring is around the corner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pickled some last year for the first time. Crazy good.

      Delete
  5. THESE ROCK. I love these haikus! We should compile a book of them! We could all contribute to a little ebook. (Total aside, I once edited a book called "Hot Flash Haiku" and co-wrote under a pen name a book called, "F U Haiku" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in. That would make a fantastic little book.

      Delete
  6. I love your haikus! I do not consider writing one of my strong suits and have never attempted to write haikus. Yours are so beautiful you may have inspired me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun and not that hard, choosing the perfect word is a bit challenging though!

      Delete