Monday, April 1, 2013

Fall in Love with Fermentation, Veggie Style

Have you ever experienced the happy love feeling in your gut from eating homemade raw fermented veggies?  Believe me, once you have you will turn up your nose smuggly every time you pass the dead jars of kraut in your grocery store aisle.  Here are 10 reasons why making your own fermented veggies at home is a NO BRAINER.

1.  It is super easy.
2.  It is insanely inexpensive.
3.  It is chock full of nutrients and probiotics.
4.  It is LIVING food.
5.  It takes no special skills or equipment.
6.  It is better for your gut than probiotic pills.
7.  It is a great conversation starter when you bring it for lunch.
8.  It aids in digestion like no body's business.
9.  It is a cancer preventative.
10. It tastes so good your whole body sings in delight.

Unfortunately, I felt the need for perfection before I started.  I read and read recipes, techniques, and agonized over what could go wrong.  Yes, paralysis and theory before a smidgen of action (story of my life).  Thank god I received a swanky fermentation crock for Christmas.  The kraut gods were looking out for me.

After my first delectable batch, I realized what an idiot I had been.  Yes, even an idiot can make delicious fermented veggies.  Pretty sure there is an idiot's guide out there.

Don't wait for the crock!  All you need are veggies, salt, a sterilized jar, a plate to weigh down the 
contents and something else heavy to weigh that down and TIME.

Sandor Katz, author of Wild Fermentation, has a great basic sauerkraut recipe.  His book is wildly entertaining, informative and filled with historical facts.  It is my go to book on ferments.

.http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sauerkraut-2/


Enjoy!  If you love making fermented foods 1/2 as much as I do, you will be one happy kraut lover.



10 comments:

  1. Andrea, I can totally relate to the analysis paralysis that comes along with fermenting. I read about 50 tutorials on how to brew kombucha before I actually did it and realized it's SO EASY. However... I have been slow to make my second batch with the mother culture that I created with the first batch. I need to just bite the bullet and do it! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, kombucha, my mother is sitting in my fridge as we speak. Maybe on Mother's day I will ceremoniously take her out. But now I am onto root vegetable kimchi. Super excited.

      Delete
  2. Andrea, this is something I have never tried! Maybe this will be just the push I need. I too can tend to want to have all the answers before I begin and this is a great reminder that ACTION leads to RESULTS, even if they are not what we expected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really sooo easy and if you have priced raw fermented veggies, you will see how economical it is. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. I've never tried this either because I guess I thought it would be a lot of work! Happy to read this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only takes about 20 minutes of chopping veggies, a bit more time tamping them down or massaging them so they release their own juices and then a few weeks or more of fermenting time. I make a double batch or more so that I can give some away and so that I have enough to eat while I am waiting for my next creation to do its magic. Happy fermenting!

      Delete
  4. it is so funny you posted about kombucha. When my children were young I used to brew and dring kombucha. They truly thought I was crazy! My daughter recently became a mm and gues what? We brew and drink kombucha together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story. Drinking from and with mother. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  5. word up! Sandor Katz is the man! ;) B

    ReplyDelete