Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Calendula, the Bright Orange Giver


Every now and then I will have some unexplainable affinity with something.  It doesn't make sense but certain things really resonate with me.  I'm especially drawn to fireweed.  For years I would go into the mountains and dig up little shoots but it never took root in my garden.  Much to my surprise I found some seed packets of Fireweed when I was in Alaska 6 years ago.  I brought them back, planted them, watered them with love, and even talked to them looking about first to make sure all of my neighbors were inside.  I was so excited to have my very own fireweed.  As they grew and grew something didn't look right.  Not sure if the seed manufacturer messed up or if the people of Alaska were saying, "Ha Ha, Fireweed is ours!". What grew instead was Calendula.  Turned out to be a new love affair.

Calendula is pretty (some even say happy), grows in any soil, and is anti bacterial, anti fungal, has anti inflammatory and antiseptic properties.  It can be used medicinally, in culinary, in cosmetics, and aromatically.  Calendula is from the Latin calendulae which means little calendar or little clock.  This   nicely ties in with its habit of closing its petals when there is no sun.  Propogate from seed sown autumn or spring and it will self seed profusely.  Also regular dead heading ensures you will get the most flowers.

If choosing to grow a medicinal garden, you can't go wrong with calendula.  Calendula salve is so easy to make and has become a staple in my medicine cabinet.  I use it for chapped lips, minor wounds, burns and bruises.  It is also excellent for babies.  Here is a site that gives you a fast and a long version (time wise).  I always use the longer version.  Make sure you have dried your petals completely as any dampness in the oil causes mold.  I dry mine on an old window screen on a sunny wind free day.  If you are going to use lavender oil make sure it is therapeutic grade.  You don't want to make a beautiful salve and spoil it with synthetics.

http://adelightfulhome.com/how-to-make-calendula-salve-and-why-you-should/

You can also cook with calendula.  It was once known as the poor man's saffron.  Fresh or dried petals can be added to rice, salads, and sprinkled over sweet dishes or baked in breads.  Zucchini bread is especially lovely with these bright orange and yellow petals sprinkled throughout.   Throw in some lavender buds and your friends will wonder why you are spoiling them so.

Now is the time to make room in your garden for this wonderful giving flower. Make sure your seed packets say Calendula Officinalis.  There are other related species that do not have the same medicinal value.

14 comments:

  1. I know very little about flowers (including the ones planted in my yard) but this makes me want to know more! Isn't it amazing that these beauties that can give us so much viewing pleasure can also do so much more! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are great books on medicinal flowers out there. Even if you didn't make anything from calendula, they are such a sweet flower. I failed to mention in my post that they also come in yellow. Both are beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Andrea for that wonderful and informative post. I will be adding it to my garden this year! I haven't experimented too much with things other than vegetables, I am a newbie but this seems like a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can grow veggies, calendula will be a snap. Don't forget to sprinkle the petals in your salads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this info Andrea! I am starting a garden this year for the first time in, well, let's say a "few". I will definitely be checking out calendula for the herbs section now. I never knew this much about it before but it seems like something that should be in all herb gardens! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it self seeds, they will come up year after year. Am all about simplicity in the garden. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Andrea! So much I want to say about this, but I'll try to keep it brief :)
    1. I talk to my plants ALL the time, and I don't care who's around to hear me. I encourage you to do the same!
    2. I love the happy accident of you getting Calendula instead of Fireweed - energetically, the Calendula wanted to be with you, perhaps?
    3. At my herbal apprenticeship last week, we planted Calendula from seed they saved, and I was marveling at how beautiful it is at that stage. The seeds look like these miniature sea crustaceans, with delicate spines. I am so excited to see them bloom and to learn more about how to use them medicinally.

    Thanks for sharing your plant wisdom here!

    Wendy
    www.greendotgarden.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. They DO look like sea crustaceans! I have painted them and made prints from them. I do want to write a post on seed saving. Something that I am not in the habit of doing. You have inspired me!

      Delete
  6. Interesting read about Calendula Andrea. I am pretty new to flowers and healing with flowers but am always interested in learning more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a newbie too until I took an herbal medicine making class. we met once a month all day for 9 months. I learned SOO much. I would start with calendula and see what flowers and herbs you can wild craft from your area. Horsetail, nettles, mint, marshmallow, elderberry, and chamomile are plentiful around here.

      Delete
  7. Helpful information and great timing. Warmer weather is coming and it is time to prep our gardens. Mint and nettles grow rampant here in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to harvest some nettles. I make tea, soup, salad and this year I want to dry some and make a greens powder with dandelions.

      Delete
  8. Andrea, your post has definitely inspired me add Calendula to my list of culinary/medicinal herbs that I will have in my garden. In the past I have experimented making my own salves using other plants/herbs such as Comfrey and Lemongrass. You're right about it being so easy. It will be even more rewarding knowing that I also grew them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in touch and let me know how it turns out. I love that people are getting back to the "roots". making medicine and gardening is so rewarding. I am loving wild crafting as well. There is an abundance of food right under our noses. Good luck!

      Delete